I am officially a Butler University Alumn! How weird is that? The last few years have flown by and so many amazing things have happened in my life! Just a few days ago, my niece was born :) I now have a 4 1/2 year old nephew-Carson, and a 3 day old niece, Brooke. I am a very proud aunt! So now that I have graduated, what's next? Life as an Americorps VISTA! This will be my attempt to keep you all updated with the amazing things I will have an opportunity to be a part of as a VISTA.
VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) offers 1-year positions to individuals with a focus on eliminating poverty. I will be working for Indiana Campus Compact (ICC) at IUPUI in Indianapolis. It is kind of tricky to explain-Americorps is who I am employed by, but my supervisor works for ICC and I will be in that office 3 days a week, but I will also be working in the Student Center at IUPUI 2 days a week. Maybe before the year is over I will come up with a better way to describe who I actually work for...
I don't actually begin working until January 7, but I had my Pre-Service Orientation in Chicago a few weeks ago. It was a great opportunity to learn so much about Americorps, the VISTA program, and poverty in general. It was great to get to meet so many other people with similar views and I made some really good friends during my time there. I am really looking forward to beginning work and learning about all that I will be able to do. ICC works with the 45 colleges around the state of Indiana to promote service learning and civic engagement. I will be specifically working with Student Programs by conducting focus groups to learn what professional needs the students want as well as developing and expanding on many other programs. I am not 100% sure what all I will be doing at this point in time, but I am excited about being involved with the "other side" of student life. It will be great being able to help students have the experiences that I enjoyed so much during my time at Butler.
As a VISTA, I will get a government stipend. I am a little bit anxious about the fact that it is set at poverty level but I think that it will be a good learning experience. Thankfully, my family is very supportive of my decision to join Americorps and will be there for me throughout the whole experience. I am sure that I will learn a lot about budgeting my money and what is actually important in life!
So, now that I have a few weeks to enjoy my freedom before the "real world" actually begins, I plan to catch up on all of my relaxing, reading, sleeping, and spending time with family and friends. I probably will not have much to update here until I start working but be sure to check back in every once in awhile- and be sure to send me updates on your life! Happy Holidays to you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How much fun to be able to follow your year of Vista! We are so proud of you and so very happy for you and the whole family since you are staying in Indy. Love you!!!!
ReplyDelete