Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Caving!

Hey all! So, my weekend (and the first part of my week) were wonderful! Saturday I went to the Butler game and we won by 2-a super close game, and the last regular season home game. Go Dawgs! They entered the post-season ranked #22. On Sunday I got to go caving with my supervisor, Lindsay, and a couple friends. This cave consisted of: walking through chest deep water that was freezing cold, army crawling through really low spaces, the "back breaker"-where you were basically bent over walking as quickly as you could for about 20 minutes, and some low-intensity rock climbing. We were in the cave for about 5 1/2 hours and it was awesome-I definitely was sore the next day! In order to get into the cave, we had to tie this webbing (seatbelt material) around a tree and climb down into the cave. The entrance was basically a hole in the ground covered by a little iron covering. Sweet. Check out some of the pictures below!

Mom, Dad, Therese, Crissy, Carson, and Brooke came to visit me at work on Monday! We got to eat lunch together and hang out for a bit. They were here all day Sunday too but I didn't get to hang out much since we were caving until the evening. It was good to see them, even if it was a short visit :)

Nick got Liz and me free tickets to Fight Night at the Indiana state fairgrounds. Fight Night is basically amateur boxing. We saw 7 fights and it was actually really fun-I had never seen a boxing match before. We got a good mix of KO fights and a full 10-round championship fight with the underdog beating the #4 ranked woman in the US.

I got my 50th survey finished today! Yay!! My goal was to get 50 people to fill it out, and now that I have it I can start the report. I'm really excited about the report and have it all figured out in my head...hopefully that will translate well to paper and be a good report to send to all of our schools. I feel so professional doing stuff like this! Friday I get to sit in on an interview with a potential VISTA for our office. That should be pretty cool. I also found out that I for sure will be going to Atlanta as the staff advisor for IUPUI's ASB trip. Yeah! We will be working with Project Open Hand that makes and distributes food to individuals who can't leave home to get it or who aren't healthy enough to cook for themselves. We are staying in a hostel in downtown Atlanta that looks pretty cool-I'm really excited about it! Stuff for the May retreat is really coming together. We have 2 meetings early next week to hopefully finalize the service projects,and we will be able to pick the speakers based on our service projects so it should come together pretty quickly from there. Finally- I am fully certified in emergency preparedness, first aid, and adult/child/infant CPR again, so let me know if you need help. And due to the training being at night, I definitely get to sleep in tomorrow morning and go to work a little late! Yeah! Okay, here are some pictures!

This was right after I tripped and fell (in the shallow water) and got wet pretty much up to my neck. It was just a little bit cold....
Jarod, me, Lindsay, and Jason wading through some water.


We all invested in the world's largest sandwiches-they were breakfast, lunch, and dinner and there was still a little to spare!


Taking a much needed rest in the "back breaker"




No comments:

Post a Comment