Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cemetery Tour

We live a couple blocks away from Crown Hill Cemetery which is the 3rd largest non-governmentally owned cemetery in the country. We drive by it every day and we've gone to just drive around and look several times. I saw on the website that they had private group tours for as low as $50 for the group so I decided to round up some friends and schedule a tour! We chose the "John Dillinger and Notables" tour and learned about bank robbers, those that were robbed, etc. around the area. It was really interesting and fun to learn about! Here are some pictures :)


Sunset behind James Whitcomb Riley's (yeah, like Riley's Children's Hospital) tombstone. This is also the highest point in Marion County and one of my favorite places in Indianapolis.


This is the tombstone for the man who our freshman year dorm, Schwitzer, was named after. Everybody in this picture was a proud Schwitzer alumn

The top of Schwitzer's tombstone


The plaque by Riley's tombstone



My favorite view of Indy- from Riley's monument




pretty sky



This is a monument for all of the individuals who donated their bodies to science for the IU school of medicine. After the bodies are cremated, the ashes are buried here so that the families have somewhere to go to visit their loved ones.




This is not only an awesome tombstone but the inscription is priceless.
"Here lies the body of Peter Grootendorst, born in Holland, September 29, 1918. I came to America in 1949 and wanted to love this beautiful country and I found out it was corrupt and that there is no opportunity for people who want to do right. So I am gone and may the Lord take my soul."



Tom Davis, the tour awesome tour guide.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Katy
    interested to know that you visited my uncle,s grave site petergrootendorst it reads here lies Peter Grootendorst.I could tell you a more about him if you like let me know
    Anton

    ReplyDelete