I'm realizing that while this started as a blog about life as a grown up...implying work...it has slowly transitioned to be more about the fun things in my life. While that is probably more fun to read anyways (and a bit more fun to write about!) but, today let's go back to the roots. Here is your update about what has been keeping me busy at work:
Social Venture Institute (SVI)
I have started hardcore planning for the SVI in August. I will be working with a group of students on social entrepreneurship initiatives-basically teaching them how to put their ideas about social change into action within their communities. It has been a bit more difficult to find organizations to work with for this than it was for the Environmental Leadership Retreat. The concept is a bit more abstract and requires a more innovative organization which is harder to come by when it comes to finding service projects. I have the core group all signed up but I am hoping to fill 2-3 more positions between now and August.
Summer VISTA trainings
I am responsible for helping to plan 2 training days for the ICC Summer VISTAs. ***ICC is now its own VISTA program so I am no longer under the Red Cross! The Red Cross was great to me but I'm really happy for ICC and it is great to see a program coming from such hard work! I have put together presentations/resources on Building Community Partnerships and I am currently working on pulling stuff out about Marketing from our summer intern.
Student Role Committee
Part of the Advisory Council Meeting last week was to discuss the role of students and ICC. I volunteered to be the head of a committee to redefine that role as well as what we can do to be more attractive for students. This will consist of basically building on the alternative breaks program that I am helping to build and providing leadership trainings for students. We want to come up with a curriculum and give them like a certificate or something to show that they have completed our program.
So, those are my 3 big projects that are taking most of my time at work these days. I'm excited about them all and loving the experience I'm getting! I feel like I'm learning something new all the time-whether it's a new topic I've never worked on, how to develop a new program, or just how to take a different role in a similar situation. In one week it will be my 6 month mark which blows me away. I can't believe I'm halfway through my year already! Back to work :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment