Friday, January 9, 2009

My first week

Hey everyone! I am 30 minutes away from successfully completing my first (short) week at work. So far, I love it! The people are very friendly and I am excited about all that I will get to do this year. It has been a little boring as far as my work is concerned because we are still working through introductory and orientation business. Today I got my own stapler and I got connected to the network printer-cool, huh? :) I am also realizing that I should not have spoiled myself with no Friday classes for the last 4 semesters of college...it made today drag by and it was a short week!

I've started putting together a database for all of our member schools about Alternative Breaks. ICC gives out mini grants to schools for different projects that the students are running so I went through all of the files from the past 3 years and pulled out the ones used for Alternative Break trips. The goal is to publish the database on the website so that you can see who went where, where they stayed, etc. incase you are interested in taking a trip to that area. It was cool to see that the grants have helped over a thousand students in the past 3 years alone! It was also cool to see the grant that we had received from them while planning ASB in 2006 :)

Yesterday I wrote a letter to introduce myself that was sent out on the listserv...which includes all the presidents from all of the colleges in Indiana! It was kind of intimidating knowing who it would be going to, but I think it turned out alright :) I will be officially introduced to them at a statewide Network Council Meeting in February which will be the Presidents and a faculty member and student from each school. It sounds like I am going to get to help run the student breakout session at that meeting!

There is still a lot of gray area about my job which is kind of a bummer but it is great in the sense that there is so much flexibility. I am going to a meeting Monday about VISTAs who will have a summer term working in Indianapolis. I won't be supervising them but I think I will have a role in their program, which should be pretty cool. I had a meeting at the Red Cross this morning and met a couple of other VISTAs who invited me to the monthly VISTA lunch next week! I'm hoping it works out to go, I think it would be cool to meet all the other people in Indianapolis and see what they are doing.

At the end of today, I have completed 24 hours of my 1700 hours of service! Yeah! I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow until at least after the sun has come up...I did not miss waking up early. All in all, I'm satisfied with the end of my first week and looking forward to the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment