Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Inspired.

Today I am feeling inspired. I just went to our monthly Bread for the World meeting. We had a representative for the Heifer International- IUPUI chapter come in to talk with us about collaboration. It is so inspiring to learn about all of the incredible organizations that work to make this world a better place. Heifer works with communities (not single families-the whole community has to be on board) to create self-sustaining communities around the world. Individuals donate money to support projects, most of which focus on animal husbandry. For example, a project might include a village applying for a herd of cattle to create food, income, jobs, etc. For the direct families that receive a cow in the first round, they have to give their first-born cow to a family that had not received one at the beginning. Some of the projects have shown success rates of over 6 generations of giving. They have also started projects in the US that include working with Native American populations out west as well as working with youth in cities to make urban gardens on rooftops. We are actually tentatively changing our plans for the IPI retreat to include a day of education about Heifer International as well as hopefully getting an urban garden going in a community near IUPUI. We will start making some calls probably next week after the Networking Council Meeting. It is so cool to see stuff like this and to hopefully have the chance to help implement it into the Indianapolis community. Check out their website: http://www.heifer.org/

Another reason I am feeling inspired is because I am reviewing applicants for the Wood Award. The Wood Award is a Student Community Committment Award that honors students who have a huge impact on the community from their work with service. So, I'm reading about all these awesome things that the students are doing and it makes me want to get out there and do something! Speaking of doing something...I leave for Atlanta in 19 days! I am going to Atlanta instead of Kansas City for the IUPUI ASB trip now! I will be working with a food bank that packs the food and distributes it to individuals who aren't able to go pick it up for various reasons. I'm really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment