Hey! So I am going to do a presentation with Emily at Butler about National Service 101. In preparation for this, I was updating an old powerpoint presentation she has with the new numbers and it was very inspiring. Here are the stats that I wanted to share to show just how great the impact of national service is on our communities and around the world:
Indiana Senior Corps:
More than 8,600 seniors in Indiana mentor more than 3,900 young people with special needs, help more than 380 homebound seniors maintain independence, provide services to more than 1,400 groups across the state.
Indiana AmeriCorps:
More than 570 individuals will respond to education, environmental, public safety, and other pressing needs in communities across Indiana. Since 1994, more than 7,900 Indiana residents have qualified for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award totaling more than $24.4 million.
Illinois AmeriCorps:
More than 73,000 people of all ages and backgrounds are helping to meet local needs, strengthen communities, and increase civic engagement through 150 national service projects across Illinois. This year AmeriCorps will provide more than 2,300 individuals the opportunity to provide intensive, results-driven service to meet education, environmental, public safety and other pressing needs in communities across the state. Since 1994, more than 17,000 Illinois residents have qualified for AmeriCorps Education Awards totaling more than $59,100,000.
Peace Corps:
Since 1961 195,000 volunteers have been trained serving in 139 countries around the world.
Current Peace Corps volunteers:
7,876 volunteers
60% female 40% male
94% single 6% married
average age-27 years old
median age-25 years old
5% of volunteers over 50 (oldest=84)
94% have at least an undergraduate degree
And finally, a couple of notable Peace Corps Alumni:
-Samuel Gillespie III, Senior Vice President, Exxon Mobil Corp (Kenya, 1966-68)
-Reed Hastings, founder and CEO of Netflix (Swaziland, 1983-83)
-Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Connecticut (Dominican Republic, 1966-68)
-Donald J. Putrimas, Vice President, Warner Bros. (Brazil, 1976-78)
As for the notable AmeriCorps Alumni, it's still a relatively new program so I couldn't find any major people...yet. Check back in 10 years and I'll let you know what I'm up to at the time :)
Go national (and global) service!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, I'm not an alum yet, but I'd say I'm pretty important. You should just add me to the list right now :)
ReplyDelete