Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tree Planting

Hey all! So, we did a tree planting Friday afternoon with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful. You can check out the press release I wrote (they made a couple changes, like taking out the exact location...) http://green.indy.com/posts/college-students-teaming-up-to-plant-trees-2. We ended up with 98 students representing 6 colleges from Indianapolis and a few guests from the community. I was very happy with the turnout and the fact that we accomplished so much in such a short time! I have a few pictures to share:



Kind of hard to tell-but this is part of the finished product! This section goes all the way down to the green interstate sign.


Check out that team work :) And yes-the shovel is supposed to be upside down. They are measuring the depth of the hole compared to the tree.


A little school spirit showing through


An "arial"-ish view of most of the group hard at work.



It was very inspiring to see so many people working so hard-especially on a Friday afternoon the week before finals! The weather was beautiful and we finished the day with no injuries beyond some blisters. I was proud to be part of such a great, hard-working group of students, faculty, staff, and community representatives!

In other news-the Environmental Leadership Retreat is approaching quickly. It has been a little crazy trying to nail down the final schedule as we've had a few changes come up last minute. I know that everything will fall into place and be fine, but it has been a little frustrating at times. We had someone back out of a spot, but thankfully we were able to fill it pretty quickly so we still have a full roster. I'm looking forward to the week-it will be fun to have such a diverse group of students from across the state coming together and learning so much while having the chance to do some hands-on service in Indianapolis. I sometimes forget that Alternative Breaks can take place so close to home. I think it will be a very eye opening experience and I'm really looking forward to it!
We went to 31 cent scoop night at Baskin Robbins tonight! I had Rocky Road ice cream for the first time in years and it was absolutely delicious-and super cheap :)


Finally, this is an article that Maggie sent out to the staff earlier this week. It is pretty light-hearted and an interesting point of view. I would recommend it (clearly I do if I'm putting it on here...) Read it to learn how volunteering makes the heart grow stronger. http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090428/LIFE/904280304

No comments:

Post a Comment